Whether you’re moving your belongings into a self-storage unit near you or to a new home or office, you’ll need to pack for moving. That seems like a simple task—until you start. Then, you realize there are seemingly a million individual questions you have to answer before you can start storing.
At Mini Mall Storage, we’re experts in packing, moving, and storage. For decades we’ve helped our customers pack, move, and store their belongings safely and securely for many reasons. Read on to explore our packing tips and learn how to successfully pack everything you plan to move.
Plan Early and Plan Well
By putting in some work before packing and moving day, you’ll make work easier for you later. Planning is important. We recommend you start packing at least two weeks before your move. The bigger your move, the more time you should give yourself to plan.
Don’t Underestimate How Much Time It Takes
Packing your belongings takes time. While taking care of the larger items can be relatively quick, packing smaller items takes longer. Deciding on a home for your collection of trinkets, or how many clothes you should pack away can bring your packing process to a grinding halt. Packing from different rooms also increases the time it takes. Plan for extra time, just in case.
There’s nothing worse than misplacing screws for a piece of furniture or losing track of your jewelry. Be diligent about labelling every box that gets moved out of your home. Consider colour-coding by room or item type and use a spreadsheet to keep track of everything.
Boxes, Boxes, Boxes
Unless you’re moving just a few items, you’ll need boxes to efficiently transport your belongings. But that’s easier said than done, as you have to decide what size boxes to use and how to properly pack them.
Which Boxes Should I Use?
The size and quantity of boxes you need depends on how much you’re moving. But consider the following tips when choosing boxes:
- Get a variety of boxes—for multiple reasons, you never want just one type or size of box. Make sure you have at least two or three different sizes of boxes.
- Don’t forget specialty boxes—wardrobe boxes allow you to keep your clothes on hangers, saving you time and letting you store dresses, suits, and other items without folding them.
- Box material—cardboard boxes are the gold standard for moving, as they’re cheap and reliable. However, you might want to consider clear plastic containers for some items, especially moisture-sensitive or heavy items.
Consider the Weight of Your Items
Randomly packing boxes may seem like a viable option, but it can cause headaches for you down the road. Not all your items are going to weigh the same, and therefore not all your boxes will weigh the same. Pack heavy items, such as books, into smaller boxes and lighter items, such as clothing accessories, into larger boxes. This will help you avoid having large, heavy boxes that are both hard to move and could break open.
Pack Your Boxes Carefully
During travel, the items in your boxes will move around. Make sure your more delicate items are safe by labeling boxes as fragile and use blankets or other kinds of padding to help them withstand the move. Additionally, put heavy items in the bottom of a box and lighter items on top.
Miscellaneous Packing Tips
Every move is different, and plenty of items have their own ideal packing process. However, these tips can help you pack common items:
- Use furniture padding—protect your furniture by using blankets or moving pads to ensure it stays together and unscratched.
- Disassemble furniture—if possible, take apart heavy furniture as much as possible without making it difficult to re-assemble (such as removing drawers from dressers).
- Consider a moving company—packing your own items is one thing, but moving them is another. Some moving companies won’t help you move things to a storage unit, so make sure it’s a service they offer before you book.
- Use moving as an opportunity to declutter—pro tip: you don’t have to move every item you have. Chances are, you’ll find tucked-away items you haven’t used in a long time. Take the opportunity to declutter when you can.
Get the Space You Need at Mini Mall Storage
At Mini Mall Storage, our friendly Storage Concierges are experts in packing and storage. Find a storage facility near you and get started with your decluttering project or move. Rent today!