Downsizing Your Apartment
Reducing the size of your apartment can be a daunting task, especially when you are accustomed to living in a larger space. However, it is a wise decision that can simplify your life, save you money, and reduce your carbon footprint.
If you are looking to downsize, whether you are moving to a smaller place or trying to declutter and organize your current space, there are several ways to streamline the process. We know getting started can be overwhelming, which is why we wrote this guide! Feel free to mix and match our tips with other advice as you go, or even improvise when you feel the need – you’ll learn to tailor your downsizing to your own needs and style. Plus, we can help in other ways too! For everything you can’t, or just aren’t ready, to give up yet, there’s a self-storage solution for that. Check out our available storage units in your area for everything you’re not ready to keep or donate.
Decluttering and downsizing your living space can be a time-consuming and emotional process that may take longer than you think. That’s why it’s important to have SMART goals: specific, measurable, attainable, relevant, and time bound. A good example of a SMART goal in downsizing would be spending 15 minutes a day going through your closet and deciding what to keep, donate, or store, and make it through at least 5 items of clothing in those 15 minutes. It leaves no room for confusion, it’s easy to measure and time, it’s easily achievable, and it’s relevant to your goal of downsizing. SMART goals are also helpful because you can decide what’s relevant and attainable to you, no matter where you are in your downsizing process.
They also work for your overarching goals, not just specific tasks in the larger downsizing process. Maybe you want to have every item in every room sorted by whether you want to keep, donate, or store it by your moving date in 3 months. It’s always important to keep the bigger picture in mind when you’re working on a project. For the data-minded among us, keep a spreadsheet! Google Sheets is free to use, and it can help to have a visual of how much downsizing you’ve done and where each item has gone to. Sorting things into boxes and then reevaluating them after a certain period (usually a month) is also another popular method you can try in combination with your SMART goals.
Start with Your Closet
Need help figuring out where to start in your downsizing journey? No worries, we’ve got you covered! Starting with your closet gives you a foundation and a starting point in the process, building your confidence and refining your system before you get to larger spaces with a wider variety of items, like your kitchen. While going through each piece of clothing, ask yourself the following questions:
- When was the last time I wore this?
- Is this piece still relevant to the current style trends?
- Does this still fit me? Is it too big or small?
- Can I give this to a friend or a loved one?
- And as decluttering icon Marie Kondo would ask, does it still spark joy?
By asking yourself these questions, you are doing a thorough evaluation of each item and making sure you don’t have any regrets during your downsizing journey. Remember, part of the process is figuring out what is essential to you and your happiness and what isn’t. Clothing can be especially difficult to get rid of because we form powerful attachments to the things we wear. Consider extending the life of garments you love but no longer wear by passing them on to loved ones. This way you get to show someone how much they mean to you, honor the memories made while wearing that piece, and create room for new ones.
Donate, Sell, or Giveaway Unwanted Items
Once you’ve achieved your goals and accomplished everything you’ve set out to do, you’ll likely have a significant collection of things you no longer need! Don’t worry, we’ve also got suggestions for beneficial ways to send them off in style.
- Donating to local non-profits and thrift shops is a great way to give back to your community while unloading unwanted items. Many non-profits accept donations of gently used clothing, household items, and other goods. Donating to these organizations can help support a cause you care about while keeping your unwanted items out of landfills. Some even do pickups and offer drop-off locations for extra convenience!
- Some items are more valuable than others, and sometimes these can be hidden gems for the right people; checking online markets such as Facebook Marketplace, eBay, or Kijiji, is a great starting point to see if you can get some money in return for your valuable goods.
- It feels good to help those we love, so create a post on your socials or drop a message in the group chat to ask if anyone needs anything you’re ready to part ways with. Maybe a relative is moving soon and is looking for some extra furniture to fill their rooms, or your friend’s toaster just went out and they need a replacement! You might be surprised at the way your would-be castoffs can improve someone’s else’s life.
Let Us Help with Your Self Storage Needs!
With the help of our expert self-storage team here at Mini Mall Storage Properties, we can make downsizing your space less overwhelming! Not all downsizing is forever, so our month-to-month leases might be just what you need while you get settled in a new space. We have climate-controlled storage units for temperature-sensitive items like your vinyl record collection and a variety of sizes and prices to suit anyone’s needs. We’re excited to be on the cutting-edge of storage technology, with Rhombus cameras, Davinci Locks, and OpenTech Alliance gates. Our facilities also offer exceptional service from local staff and are conveniently located, allowing you to reinvent yourself and your space effortlessly. When you’re ready to store, we’re just a call, click, or visit away.